Jonathan Scott Duff
P.O. Box 260193
Corpus Christi TX 78426
Knowledge and Skills
- System administration (HPUX, Linux, Windows)
- RDBMS (SQLite, MySQL, Ingres, Oracle, postgres)
- RDBMS interface to Perl, C, PHP, Ruby
- Web application design (Apache, HTML, PHP, Perl, Rails)
- Software development
- Network programming/Administration (TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, NFS, LDAP, sendmail, FTP)
- Scientific programming
- Revision control (CVS, Subversion, git)
- small computers running linux (gumstix)
- Numerical programming (Perl+PDL)
- Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/Vista
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point
- Information Technology Research Manager (2008 to present)
Conrad Blucher Institute
- Freelance Consultant (2001 to present)
- Perl and PHP programming for various web sites. Installed and customized software.
- Application Architect (2006 to 2008)
Thunder Data Systems
- Designed and implemented web application software for various clients. Automated processes to enable rapid installation of commonly used application components.
- Senior Systems Analyst II (2003 to 2006)
Division of Nearshore Research (DNR)
- Primary job duties include maintaining the current IT infrastructure at DNR, interacting with external entities to facilitate DNR projects, defining the strategy for DNR's future computer related activities, supervising student workers, writing grant proposals, maintaining and updating the DNR environmental database, writing software to input/retrieve information into/from that database, and system administration of the various machines within DNR (including mail, web services, LDAP, and FTP), and developing hardware and software for remote environmental data collection systems.
- Systems Analyst II (1999 to 2003)
Conrad Blucher Institute - Division of Nearshore Research (CBI-DNR)
- Primary job duties include maintaining and updating the DNR environmental database, writing software to facilitate the input and retrieval of information to/from that database, and system administration of the various machines within CBI (including mail, web services, DNS, and FTP). Also involved in developing hardware and software for remote environmental data collection systems and providing key insight into existing software systems which allow student workers to learn those systems and complete their assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Systems Programmer (1994 to 1999)
Conrad Blucher Institute (CBI)
- Primary responsibilities included maintaining computer systems for Texas Coastal Ocean Observation Network (TCOON) which consisted of system administration of Hewlett-Packard 735 HPUX workstation, various personal computers running linux or Win95, and a Dell SVR4 machine; maintaining a heterogeneous TCP/IP network; creating software for automatic data collection and storage; design and development of new computer software systems. Also supervised student workers in software creation and web development.
- Student Worker (1992 to 1994)
Conrad Blucher Institute
- Data entry. Perl programming.
- evolutionary computation
- computers in scientific research
- Perl 6
- Parrot (a virtual machine for dynamic languages)
- Tae Kwon Do
- wood carving